Thursday, February 8, 2018

Client accidentally grabbed my CCW


So, this happened to me yesterday at a convention center where I'm running a conference for a big client, who is fairly proud of her liberal ideology.  This particular conference just so happens to be held in a city that is pretty well known for its gang activity and violent gun crimes, even in the nice part of town (and I use the term "nice" quite loosely).Of course, I brought my CCW with me because I'm fully aware of what this city is best known for, and I also know that the security team at the convention center is comprised mostly of elderly women, ex-convicts, and one stringy little kid.  Not exactly a team I would seek assistance from in any situation, unless I wanted to learn how knit or craft a shank from a shampoo bottle and breath mints.I had my CCW at the 5 position yesterday morning while I assisted the client with a rush of people trying to register.  They all wanted to be sure they made it in time to meet the guest celebrity and take a few pictures. Who can blame them, honestly?  I love celebrities that are pretty open about their love of hunting and supports 2A rights of his fellow Americans.Well, during this little rush, I was hunched over one of the two tables set out by the client as the makeshift registration desk trying to help take care of three guests at once.  The area behind the desk was so cluttered that, as the client tried to pass me from behind, she fell into me and got what seemed like her entire hand wrapped around the grip of my gun, tugging it away from me towards my left.  (Luckily, the retention on my holster is great, so the gun never came out.)As this was happening, my immediate reaction was to turn to help her, but once the client quickly helped herself up and regained balance, I could tell 2 things by the look on her face:  1) She was 100% aware that she grabbed a gun, and not some obscure medical device; and 2) She was in panic mode.  I watched this woman, in the middle of this huge rush where everyone is running around like mad, slowly back away with her arms pointing stiffly, straight down with her hands clenched.  She turned and power walked quickly away in this uncomfortably stiff manner, and it was obvious something was up because her arms didn't move AT ALL.  She looked like a robot pretending to be human considering her arms didn't sway or anything as she shuffled off abnormally fast.At that point, I was completely mortified because I fully expected her to come back with the police or something, at the very least I thought she was going to call my boss and complain.  But, 30-45 minutes later, she showed back up and acted as if nothing ever happened for a short while before leaving for the day.  My interactions with her today have been normal, and I'm very relieved because of it.  Even though I wasn't breaking any laws, I was really scared that having my CCW on site was going to get me reprimanded, maybe even fired.  I left it locked in my bag hanging over my chair today because of that experience (and my bag goes with me everywhere I go and never leaves my sight/possession, just for the record). The lesson for me here is:  use an AIWB at work, because I'll never know when a client might try to catch herself using my butt.TL;DR - My client grabbed my gun on accident as she fell into me during a rush, shuffled out of the room in a panic despite being extremely busy, but came back later and acted as if nothing had happened (luckily for me). via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2Eq95P3

No comments:

Post a Comment