Monday, April 12, 2021

*UPDATE* United Airlines Lost My Checked Firearm


Hello all, the following is an update on my firearm that United Airlines lost when I flew in February. For those of you who didn't read my original post, here is the link: https://ift.tt/3g6JWLM; Flew in February. Gun was not taken off of plane during connection. Plane flew to Mexico, and gun has been "stuck in customs" ever since.Anyway, I have been in contact with United customer service (a corporate rep) since my gun was lost, and I have gotten the same answer stating that they were working with the Mexican customs to get my gun back. While it was not my primary CCW, I still carried it occasionally. At 6 weeks, United told me it was unlikely I would get my gun back, so they would begin the reimbursement process. At week 8, I sent an inventory and price list of all items in the case I checked. United immediately reviewed the list and notified me by phone that they would reimburse me for all items listed plus the baggage fee of the checked firearm. They also included a flight voucher for the value of my original ticket. As of writing this, I have received the check and flight voucher. It's been nearly 10 weeks now, and while the issue has been incredibly annoying and time consuming, the United rep has been very helpful throughout the entire process. The rep even said that if United could eventually get my handgun back, they [the rep] would try their best to get it to me, even though United's SOP for lost then found baggage is disposing of it. I also told them I would notify the ATF of the issue, as well as file a police report. At this point, I am holding out on doing such, as I don't want to report the gun lost/stolen then have it returned to me, which would be a hassle to deal with.A couple of takeaways/lessons learned:Flying with a firearm can be (and for me it has been) easy. My situation literally doesn't happen, so don't let it deter you from flying with your CCW. Just be sure to know and follow airline and TSA rules and regs.While I am understandably upset, the customer service reps didn't lose my gun. Patience and decency can go a long way. The key here is don't be an A-hole. Note: the baggage handler messed up.Be prepared for the worst case scenario: take pictures of the contents of your case, create an itemized list, use a GPS tracker if allowed, and have another gun ready in the event yours is lost. Keep receipts and other written records of interactions for reference.My situation was unfortunate, but I accepted the fact that I have to move on. I will be replacing the contents of the case immediately since I have received the reimbursement check.Situations like mine are how the Mexican Cartel bypass the one gun store in Mexico to get firearms.If there are any questions, I'm happy to answer them. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3e2xCcN

No comments:

Post a Comment