Thursday, April 29, 2021

The psychology of self defence: How to channel aggression to overcome fear?

So today I got accosted by man who was very angry and clearly mentally unstable/delusional irrational but very aware and in control of himself.

Verbally trying to diffuse the situation wasn't going to/ didn't work because he was irrational (he wanted to attack me because I was a white man wearing black clothing and to him that meant I was racist)

I believe he had a knife due to the way he kept his body around his right jacket pocket.

I did stuff I've learnt through hard learned experience (London is a violent shit tip) and from reading.

I kept distance, I wasn't aggressive, I looked for escape routes and for other people and I was in a very subtle athletic position - ready to fight or run if he got off his bike.

I thought I was going to have to fight or run.

Obviously this was very scary.

I managed to stay as confident sounding as possible and he eventually got bored and went.

When I was younger I'd have freezed and got assaulted by this obviously predatoryan. Nowadays I don't. But... My adrenaline spikes massively and actually interferes with me making a choice on how to act.

I'm lucky that any self defence situation I've been in I have been alone and only had to think of my own safety.

With a child on the way and London getting increasingly divided and violent I need to learn how to channel controlled aggression into violent action.

How do I learn to do this because if I'm with my wife and child running isn't an option

How do I channel aggression to overcome fear and act in a different way to what my adrenaline wants me to do?



Submitted April 29, 2021 at 12:46PM by Lupercal111 https://ift.tt/2QJD2ld

No comments:

Post a Comment