Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Thoughts after my 1st firearms class and range session.


extremely long, rambling post. tips and feedback welcome.Took a beginners gun safety class and then rented a few guns after the class.I have small hands and my eyes are cross dominant (right handed, left eye dominant)learned a few things about gun handling and manipulation in the class. glad i took it but i’d already gleaned most of that info from hickok, sootch, Mack, gunsngear.Regarding my eye cross dominance: when I was shooting I was obviously taking my time and being careful.I kept both eyes open and simply “chose/used” the image on the left. (my initial reaction is to aim at the image on the right side of my vision, but that seems to be the one from my left eye. When i close my left eye the remaining image is off center to the left).So in this way I was using my right eye, but I don’t know how fast i could do that in an emergency. maybe training would let me choose the left sight picture quicker.*something i wish the instructor had helped me with was how to lean into it with my shoulders rounded forward and leaning my head forward a bit? and the height of my arms as i extended out. i have circulation problems so holding that position was uncomfortable (thoracic outlet syndrome- holding my arms up in weird positions cuts off blood circulation through my shoulder and causes pain and swelling in my hands and forearms)I rented 4 guns in addition to firing a handful of rounds during the class.unfortunately the shop was about to close after the class so i was very rushed as i tested the guns.i rented in order the ppq, 43x, czP01, walther pps.As a noobie, loading pistol magazines without the loading tool sucks ass. my Right index finger is shredded and raw from trying to load 9mm into the magazines.i did what the instructor said (brace it on the table, press down on the top round a little). but it still scraped the shit out of my finger.I eventually began covering the corner of the magazine with my left hand index finger so my right hand wasn’t getting cut. butbit was unpleasant. especially because my hands were very sweaty.my sweaty hands made the bullet sweaty and then it was slippery and hard to press down onto the top round.i wish i’d been warned about lead dust; i wouldn’t have worn my favorite hat and i would have bagged up my shooting clothes and brought other clothes to wear home.someone dropped a magazine beyond the firing line and i shouted cease fire. ppl looked at me like i was crazy. but that’s what the instructional video by nssf said to do on youtube. call cease fire anytime something is dropped past the safety line.Because they were about to close i was rushed and didn’t take enough time to analyze and take notes on how the different guns felt. my own fault but it’s a bitch getting to this range from my abode so i wanted to take advantage of my visit.What I do remember: the big czp01 was vastly more comfortable to shoot and it was much more accurate than the pps and 43x. i tried using the de cocker but it didn’t do shit. it didn’t work as a safety and it didn’t drop the hammer. rental i guess?the trigger on the 43x was very easy for my finger to reach. big plus for my tiny hands. but the ppq and p01 triggers were ok (though my technique was probably bad, like my index finger touching the frame the whole way to reach farther).i kept trying to shoot the forehead but kept missing with the pps and 43x. just couldn’t hit it. the p01 hit basically where i aimed.i’m upset at myself because i don’t remember the ppq hardly at all. Also i forgot to try 1 handed shooting to see how stable i could hold the different guns with my tiny hand. probably for the best in terms of safety.That very short slide of the CZ seems like it could potentially be tough to rack to clear a malfunction in an emergency? Then again cz75s have been used by military and police worldwide for decades....loading sub compact magazines sucks. tough to load the last round, and gotta reload so frequently.I dunno fellas. I think I might need to skip the sub compact and postpone carrying out 6-12 months. because I can tell shooting tiny guns will be painful.I am gonna rent more guns and maybe take a ccw class with a rental.but as it stands i’ll likely buy a g19 or g17 size pistol as my first gun. softer to shoot, easier to aim well, bigger magazines.so i’ll have a home defense weapon and range tool. a tiny gun will have to wait. might pickup a used pps just...well no. not even gonna carry it without shooting and training with it.learn to shoot on a big one while learning safety as i go. try ccw later.sorry for ramblingedit: What g19 size or duty pistol size would you recommend for tiny hands? beretta with the thin vertec grips comes to mind, maybe any of the cz75 variations, probably not a g17 with the huge grips. FN509 full size seems pretty nice looking. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2LHYhxl

No comments:

Post a Comment