Friday, September 27, 2019

Pulled over, pulled out of the car, disarmed and searched.


Last week I was driving with my wife to visit my in laws about 4 hours away. We like to avoid traffic so we tend to get up super early make the trip at night, getting to my in laws around 6 am to have breakfast with them.So we are driving along around 3 AM, on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere Missouri. I see a car in the opposite lane of traffic with its high beams on. I flash my high beams to let him know his are still on. He keeps them on high and just drives past.About 2 minutes later, flashing red and blues behind me. I pull over right away.Cop comes up to my window, I roll it down and he tells me "the reason I'm pulling you over is because you flashed your highbeams at me". I told him he had his brights on. He insisted he didn't, but I was pretty sure he did because he was behind me now and his headlights were nowhere near as blinding, but whatever, I am not going to argue with him about it.He asks where we are headed and I tell him we are headed to my in laws a few hours from here.He then tells me he smells the odor of marijuana coming from my vehicle. Now I should mention that neither I nor my wife smoke marijuana. And no one else is ever in our car but us. I happen to drive a Prius with about 40 bumper stickers on the back including a few libertarian ones, but nothing marijuana related. Hell, I even have a TBL decal as I generally support law enforcement. But I guess in the middle of missouri with 40 bumper stickers on my prius(most of them hiking and camping related) maybe I look like a weed smoking hippy to him.So I kinda laugh when he says he smells weed. I said we dont use any drugs. He then asks for ID from me and my wife, and insurance and registration. I let him know before I reach for my wallet that I have a concealed carry permit and I am carrying a handgun in my right pocket.He puts his hand on his gun and with his thumb pushed down the hood on his safariland ALS holster. That kinda made my heart skip. He very sternly tells me to move very slowly to get my ID. I get my wallet and hand him my ID and my carry permit. And my wife hands him her ID.He then goes back to his car for about 5 minutes, and when he comes back he says he smells marijuana again. I told him we dont use marijuana. He then asks if we would mind if he takes a look in the car to make sure there isnt any. I said, "I'm sorry but no". He seemed surprised and then he told me that he doesnt need my permission since smelling it gives him probable cause. So he tells me and my wife to exit the vehicle.He then asks me if I have any weapons on me. I said "uh, yeah, I have a smith and wesson bodyguard in my right pocket in a holster, loaded, and a spare mag in my left pocket along with pepper spray in my left pocket". He made a comment that I must be ready for anything or something. He then puts his hand in my pockets and takes my gun, pepper spray and spare mag and puts it on my car. He patted me down and had me stand in front of his car.He then has my wife exit the car, stand back with me and then and he runs the back of his hand down the fronts of her thighs and then on her butt. All while making small talk and chatting with us.He seemed friendly and talkative as soon as I was disarmed. But I wasnt feeling very friendly, but I tried to be as nice as possible.He then proceeds to spend the next 20 minutes tearing my car apart while we watch and I have to keep explaining the stuff he is going through. We carry a lot of emergency equipment, camping and hiking gear and first aid/trauma stuff. He went through all of it. Went through my tools, my emergency food, our sleeping bags, my vacuum sealed food and first aid stuff, my lunch box with our egg salad sandwiches, opening bags and touching our food with his bare hands, looking inside our coffee cups, everything.And after all of that, he finds nothing. He hands us back our IDs, and says we can leave. No tickets, nothing.I gotta say, this was a pretty humiliating experience. And I hated seeing another man touching my wife, even though I guess he was just frisking her for weapons. I've been carrying daily for 12 years, been pulled over a lot, and I have never experienced being searched for absolutely no reason. I guess I shouldnt drive around at 3 am. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2m5NGDE

No comments:

Post a Comment