Thursday, September 5, 2019

Really disappointed in my HK VP9 magazines


Took a fall the other day, blacked out randomly at the store. ER doc said nothing was wrong and I probably locked my legs and didn't realize it. Luckily the guy behind me broke my fall a bit so I didn't bounce my head.Anyways, I carry in the 3 O'clock position and fell straight back on my back. When I hit the ground my magazine floor-plate must have struck the floor and came off, which resulted in the magazine spring shooting out the back of the gun and all the ammo in it falling to the floor. That was awkward, and also really made me disappointed in the design of the magazine floor-plate. I went home and checked, and all the magazines I have for it the floor-plate retainer does not protrude very far at all into the floor-plate, which is probably why it came off so easily. I've looked at tons of HK VP9 and P30 magazines for the past few years since I started looking into getting one, and they all have this issue. Luckily nobody at the store freaked out, and the EMT's were really cool about it. The store employees even gave me a grocery bag to put all my ammo and magazine parts in.Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that you may need to check your magazine floorplates. I might look at making some replacement floor-plate retainers out of aluminum that will lock in a bit more positively. Also made me really appreciate guns that have the magazine flush with the mag-well since then the only direction an outside force can have on it is to push it towards it's locking position. Additionally, made me realize the value of revolvers and welded floor-plates. Also learned that I was right to carry a spare mag all the time, because later I stopped at wal-mart on my way home from the hospital and someone started walking towards my car and stopping about 5 feet from it while staring me down. I drove off, but it made me realize the value of having a reload in the event of malfunctions. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/30XQPVa

No comments:

Post a Comment