Sunday, September 8, 2019

CA, FL, and NC. Different days, processes, costs. Details in post (long).


Hey all,I've picked up three different licenses over the past 2 years due to moves in the military. Anyway, in sequence:CA: San Diego County, 4 months, $156 license, $240 class. May issue, submitted a paragraph as justification.California was, no surprise, the biggest PITA and the most expensive. CA's license is also poorly constructed. In typical CA fashion, it's larger than the average credit card size and barely fits in your wallet. The ends that poke out got bent really easily. Also, only good for two years. I guess I'm mostly thankful that I lived in a county where this was possible. In terms of classes though, it's supposed to be 8 hours but I was done in 2. The guy told me he could tell I wasn't a dumbass and we talked a bit and went to shoot. Easy day.FL: Lee County, 2 weeks, $102. Shall issue, completed within the same visit to the DMV to get my drivers license and voter's registration. No class requirement with proof of military pistol certification.Easiest process. Didn't have to take a class, just brought in my pistol cert scores from the military and they waived it. The card also looks like an actual form of identification, and is good for 8 (!) years. FL's reciprocity is also pretty darn good, which helped when I was driving across the country to get to...NC: Onslow County, 2 weeks, $90 license, $55 class.Did this so I could buy pistols without having to mess with the pistol purchase permits. The class was long and dry, a full 7 hours.Anyway, the pistols.SW 642: My buddy refers to this as my prostitute gun. 38 special +P, crimson trace grips. The built in iron sights are tiny so I opted for the laser. It's great for stuffing in my jacket pocket when I'm taking the dog for a walk.SW Shield: Ol' reliable. No malfunctions out of this guy after 5,000 rounds, just swapped out the recoil spring. Modded with talon grips, Trijicon night sights, and Hyve trigger shoe and basepad. Overwatch AIWB holster. I hated the factory hinge style trigger. I'm still carrying this gun since it's what I have the most training with and manipulating it is second nature. Great gun, can't say enough good things about it.Sig P365 XL: Picked this up when it came out. No issues with reliability so far at 500 rounds. Going to keep shooting and working drills until I'm absolutely comfortable with it. No striker drag issues, and I inspect my brass during every range trip since I reload. I love the straight trigger and factory sights. Holster is a Dara Holster's AIWB. I may ditch the claw since the grip digs a little too much into my body with it and makes it hard to get a good grip during my draw.I carry the Shield AIWB and will carry the P365 the same way.Obligatory "paranoid first time carrying story": I was with my wife and in-laws and some guy came up to me while I was standing in line at Starbucks and stared at my front. He goes, "Is that a..." and my brain thinks "Gun? Fuck, you can see it?". But he just wanted to ask about my t-shirt lol.Obligatory "I had to draw muh gun": Took my wife to an improv show in downtown San Diego. Was dumb and took the stairs in the parking garage. Sketchy looking guy in a baggy sweatshirt (in the middle of summer, mind you) advances towards us and doesn't stop. After several warnings, I draw at the ready and that stops him in his tracks. Wife and I make our way towards the exit and I call the garage security company and give them the guy's information. We were still able to enjoy our date, and my wife was permanently convinced that carrying is a good idea.There are definitely folks with more experience than me on this sub but figured I'd share what my experience has been so far. Thanks for reading.https://ift.tt/2ZZ3vcS via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2N20xmb

No comments:

Post a Comment