Tuesday, October 6, 2020

"Hey do you have a lighter?"


To preface, I carry a Sig P238 appendix, and am a guy just over 6' tall with a semi-athletic build.This happened yesterday. I was getting out of my car at the pharmacy and saw a man approaching with a cigarette in his right. I locked my car as the guy came up and put the keys in my pocket. He held the cigarette forward and asked "Hey do you have a lighter?" I checked him over really quickly.He was a dark skinned guy about my height and weight, maybe lighter, with a white button-up shirt, cigarette in his right hand, and his left hand hidden under his shirt tail, above his belt line, where a South paw would keep a gun.Part of me wanted to get the lighter out of my car that I kept there for emergencies, but the rest of me was throwing a red flag. I just said "No, I don't, sorry."I was at a bad angle for a fight, with my car to my left, and the man in front and to the right of me.Fortunately he just kept walking past, and sat on the curb near my car. I walked into the pharmacy and looked back at my car to show I was keeping an eye out. When I got out I had my hands free and mentally prepared for a fight if need be, and checked to see if the man was gone before hurrying to my car.If a guy approaches you asking for a light, the obvious thing you should do is to say no. They are waiting on you to offer a light and be distracted by the object in one hand, while his other hand draws a weapon on you. But what do you do about a person approaching you with a hand under their shirt, positioned like they are ready to pull a weapon on you? If I had put my hand on my gun in the same fashion, the line of who was in the right would have gotten blurry legally, if he drew first and I could not react in time, I would have been shot.What would you do? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/34B8Xay

No comments:

Post a Comment