Saturday, September 12, 2020

Just wanted to share...


I took my CCW class here in Florida back in July. I was just getting over a sinus infection where I kept poking at my eye to relieve the tension until the eye itself was the problem. Here comes class day, I'm expected to shoot relatively accurately for 25 rounds at 15 feet, and I can barely see through my dominant/shooting eye for more than 5-10 seconds at a time before the burning itchiness floods my eye with tears. On top of that, I have my safety glasses on, and a face mask. So, I'm teary, and fogged up the entire time shooting. And just to compound things, I took my relatively new S&W M&P .22 Compact as it is more believable as a concealed weapon than my 1956 vintage Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. Well the .22 is still touchy about ammo, only had maybe 200 rounds through it at the time, so as I experiment with brands (and COVID availability) I get 2-3 misfeeds per 10 round clip. I passed the class, apparently they thought the shooting was good enough, but I was embarassed at my skill that night and didn't bother checking the folded up target with my application pack until this week. When I shot for the class, it was 5 rounds at a time, for 25 rounds total. I escaped with only 2 misfeeds, but the foggy teary shame was overwhelming. Who looks like they are crying at a gun range, afterall? So I finally got fingerprinted this week and had an opportunity to check my target from clas night. Turns out despite everything I had 15 shots within inner 2 zones on human silhouette target, and 8 in the 3rd zone. Factoring in the 2 bad feeds, that accounts for all 25. I was totally taken by surprise, the night of the class I was sure it was way worse, even missing paper by maybe 10 rounds, and refused to look at the target at the end of the part of class. Left me feeling much more confident in my abilities as a future CCW holder. If I can be that accurate with shit ammo, foggy visibility, a sinus eye/nose run and headache, and a jam happy gun, then I think I can handle the adrenaline of an actual life/death situation. (BTW I'm more accurate than that with the Blackhawk, even at 50 ft) via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/33sOOD0

No comments:

Post a Comment