Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Opinion on Company Weapon Policy Verbiage (Disclaimer: I will not hold anyone's opinion as legal advice.)


I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to post this here but I don't think it's against the rules. I know there are legal subreddits that I can defer to but I wanted the specific ear of this group if possible.I've been carrying for a few months now (MN - Permit to Carry Cardholder) and I've on/off been carrying at my place of work. They do have signage up stating "[Compnay Name] prohibits guns on these premises" on the entry doors. So obviously that doesn't hold up from a legal standpoint unless they verbally ask me to remove my weapon from the premises.So I dug into our Policy to see what was written there and there are two sections that address weapons:WeaponsUnless specifically permitted by state law, possession of firearms, explosives or other weapons on [Compnay Name] property (including parking areas), or during work-related activities or while conducting [Compnay Name] business is against our policy and strictly prohibited. Any violation of this policy may result in the removal from the premises, termination of employment and other appropriate actions. Your Location Supplement may provide more details regarding our policy in your stateViolence-Free Workplace[Compnay Name] seeks to provide a safe workplace for all employees and accordingly, does not tolerate workplace violence committed by or against employees, contractors, Independent Sales Representatives, vendors or customers. To ensure a safe workplace and to reduce the risk of violence, you should review and understand all provisions of this workplace violence policy. Conduct that may be in violation of this policy includes, but is not limited to:􏰀 Causing physical injury to another person;􏰀 Making threatening or hostile remarks;􏰀 Aggressive or hostile behavior that creates a reasonable fear of injury to another person or subjects another individual to emotional distress;􏰀 Intentionally damaging employer property or property of another employee;􏰀 Using or possessing any weapon, or firearm or other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances on Companyproperty or while conducting Company business in violation of the Company’s Weapons policy; and􏰀 Committing acts motivated by, or related to, sexual harassment or domestic violence.The part that I'm having trouble deciphering is the "Unless specifically permitted by state law...". Does this mean as a Permit to Carry cardholder, technically I can?? Or does this statement sound more like "If I'm an LEO, then I can carry"?How would you all read into that? At the end of the day, I can still carry if I choose, knowing the outcome could be getting fired should anyone for some reason report me or somehow see my weapon. At this point, no one knows that I have carried at work and I plan to keep it that way.Workplace Context for why I have on/off carried:I work in a corporate office and we're on 3 floors out of the 12 or so total. I'm not on the same floor as our general reception area so there's minimal random traffic. All of our entrances are key-card access but that obviously doesn't stop someone from "tail-piping" in behind someone or the threat can come from within the workplace as well. I can see the main entrance to my floor right from my office space. My office/space is windowless and the door is 2 in thick solid wood. My space is also about 25 ft long. Should a threat enter, I would have the ability to close my door and lock it, go to the back of my space and take cover amongst the many things within my space. Leaving out specifics about my space for anonymity. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2FtEr65

No comments:

Post a Comment