Thursday, January 30, 2020

Had a gun pointed at me. Sharing some retrospective, open to advice


Hello!A few weeks ago I went on a camping/gear test trip with a friend, our route had us walking along the road for 6 miles before we got to our location.We got out of responsibilities late, so we started at night.Walking up the road maybe 4 miles We stopped for a bit, then heard yelling and saw two lights from ~40ft up the road. "Hey" "What are you doing?"I figured they were curious/worried. So I just shouted a hello back and continued to relax. I sat against a tree with my hand in the poncho pocket that held my firearm(sigp365 in a boraii eagle holster)The man and woman came down the street and the guy had a shotgun leveled at us as he approached!"What are you boys doing here?" "Whats in the bags""We're hiking to a camping spot" "Just camping gear""Mmhmm, my neighbor said you were in my driveway, so I'll ask again, whats in the bags, where are you going...You don't look like you are from around here"Long story short he was just very aggressive, clearly believed we were roving bandits. Although he lowered his firearm I did not feel safe.I told him he was scaring us, were were just local hikers, we had no problem leaving, just checking out the stream and taking a break. We'll leave now.His wife seemed to soften a bit, but he just seemed angry, and called the cops. We started walking. Cops talked to us a mile or so down the road. I know my town officers so I suspect they recommended him better ways he could handle the situation. They recognized we were "scared shitless". We declined to press any charges.​In retrospect, I wish I had practiced removing my pocket holster from the pistol, while it's still in the pocket. I now have a method to do so. I think this is pretty essential for these situations. I'm also tempted to practice firing from under the poncho. That would have been a comforting skill.I also think it was unwise to tell him that I'm a local who lives just down the street(I gave the wrong street name though). I'm worried he'll hold me mentioning how fuckin' scary having his shotty leveled at us was against us.Any advice you'd give me? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2RDqglO

No comments:

Post a Comment