Thursday, January 20, 2022

Brainstorming physical challenges and wheelchair carry


My wife is wanting to get her LTC. She’s a high-level paraplegic and uses a wheelchair to get around (and honestly, it seems like she never sits still). Her disability and the wheelchair create some challenges, both physically and in terms of concealed carry, and I’m especially interested in feedback from wheelchair carriers and shooting instructors who work with paralyzed shooters.One of her challenges is that, because of the level of paralysis, her grip and hand strength is diminished. We’ve tried out the S&W 380 EZ, which she can rack, but has to pas the grip to her off hand so she can pull the slide with her stronger hand. She’s a little leery of the 380 recoil, but I think that would pass with practice. We’ve discussed something like a Beretta Bobcat 21a with the tilt barrel, but of course .22 is not ideal for defense.In terms of carry, she thinks she wants to rig a holster under the seat of her chair, but she has rods in her back and I question whether she has the flexibility to bend and quickly access a weapon there. She seems reluctant to consider a fanny pack. She has a backpack she carries on the back of her chair (great for concealability) but that’s probably not ideal for quick access, since I know I never can find anything she asks me to retrieve from that bag of holding.Her interest is what got me moving in the CCW direction, but now I’m sorted and I want to figure something out for her so we can get our LTC together. Thanks… via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3rCRNoa

No comments:

Post a Comment