Monday, June 7, 2021

Sight Picture


The person who did the Hellcat vs Sig comparison mentioned the Sig shooting low, and I couldn't get a pic to post in that thread so figured I'd just start a new one.Sig uses what I've seen them call a "combat sight picture" that is the front sight COVERS the target. See Sight Image 3. Most modern guns use Sight Image 2. People who are not aware of this tend to complain that Sigs shoot low.I was told by a Sig rep that the reason for this is the sights sit above the barrel and those two points combined with the target form a triangle, and the smaller you can make that triangle the more effective the firearm can be over a greater range of targets. Sight image 1, as an example, is used by bullseye (Now called precision pistol) shooters where the distances are static 100% of the time. The target is 8" at 50yds or 5.5" at 25yds which makes the same picture from the gun with a 6-o-clock hold.Sig sights use a number system stamped on the sights. Numbers up = groups up. Front sight changes are 1/2" and Rear sight changes are 1" - so between the 2 sights you should be able to pick numbers that sight it in correctly. That said, its common to see 6 and 8 numbers but other numbers are not manufactured that often. So at the factory if a gun has to be a little off, the builder will choose low (but it shouldn't be more than about 1/2") Why ? Because in the heat of a real world situation when the adrenaline is flowing. and you are reacting only, there is likely going to be some uncontrolled muzzle rise if multiple shots are fired in rapid succession, and you don't want the gun to be a bit on the high side to start that chain.When I first started shooting Sigs I ended up upping the front sight number by 2 (6 to an 8). Some people have reported that Sig will swap out numbers if the gun is new, but I just bought some, and I'm glad I did because after shooting several thousand rounds, I ended up switching them back to the original factory numbers. Give the new sight picture some time.Also - I used to be really obsessed with hitting the bullseye. Now I almost exclusively shoot steel and it allows me to relax a bit and not stress about the shot and my shooting got a LOT better over time. 8" target at 25yds is now no issue for general practice and that's a lot smaller than a body.Hope this helps some folks out there.Sight Pciture via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3pClJPZ

No comments:

Post a Comment