Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Who has a vindication story?


If you are like me and have a spouse, it is possible that you have had some eye rolls in regards to carrying a pistol over the years. Have you had a situation that freed you from the eye roll phase?My scenario went like this. We were traveling to the mountains a couple years ago prior to moving to our current house that is already near them. I was gong to fly with the pistol so she had to know that it was coming because of the extra BS you go through while flying. My reasoning to her on this particular trip was that we would be on remote roads late at night and if we had car trouble or something and someone decided to "help" I didn't want to be empty handed. I also told her that we were planning to hike in bear country. Not that 9mm is a great bear load, but it is preferable to fist fighting the damn thing if something happens. The discussion was longer and more nuanced than this, but you get the point.She busted my chops a good amount over the hassle of it and for my reasoning, but I wasn't asking for permission so it was happening regardless.Anyway, we make it to our destination without problems. We go hiking on an out and back that was about 10 miles. Our 5 year old was walking, but I had our 15 month old in a carrier on my back. The trail was pretty steep up hill one way and more or less a cliff the other way down to a river. We had the wind in our face on the way back and as I rounded the corner (I was in the front), there was a bear in the middle of the trail. I stopped in my tracks and said "OH BEAR". My wife, as she starts to peak around my shoulder, says "Are you seri (seeing the bear).....do you have your gun?".I have never been so happy to see a bear within 50 feet of me in my entire life! She busted my chops for hours and here she is looking for it in the exact scenario that I had brought up which she mocked me over.Here is the reality. Black bears aren't very aggressive and I never even drew the gun. We had the wind in our face and must not have been making noise as we came around the corner so it just didn't hear/smell us or we wouldn't have even seen him. He gave us a brief stare and bolted further around the bend before tearing ass up the hill to get away from us. HOWEVER, my wife not only doesn't question me about carrying anymore, but she will ask if I have it depending on where we go.I HAVE BEEN VINDICATED! Let's hear your story via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3fgO0pi

No comments:

Post a Comment