Thursday, January 2, 2020

Crossbreed Modular Belly Band Review


I posted several months ago looking for feedback for a good holster rig for running relatively long distances ( https://ift.tt/2SNPtLu), and again a couple of weeks ago when the Crossbreed modular belly band I ordered as a result of that posting came ( https://ift.tt/2QjKWP9). In that second post, I promised a review once I'd had the chance to try it out properly. I carry a stock G19 and generally a G17 mag for backup. I usually carry in an AlienGear Cloak Tuck IWB. Buckle up as it's going to be a bit of a long one. TL/DR at the end.When I ordered the rig, I was pretty excited as it was fairly well reviewed and one of the few belly band options with full Kydex trigger guard coverage ( I carry with one in the chamber the proper way). When it came, I won't lie, I was a little disappointed as the holster itself attached to the belt with velcro, and the whole thing didn't seem well thought out. When I first started wearing it around the house on a day off, I thought I was going to hate it. Nothing seemed to be in the right place. I couldn't get the cant right. Everything was too tight even though I was well within the waist size for the setup I ordered. After a few hours of playing with it every twenty minutes, though, things started to gel. By the end of the day, I was looking forward to my run the next morning. By the end of five miles the next morning, I was genuinely impressed.The rig consists of a 4" wide nylon belt that attaches round your waist with velcro, and a hybrid leather and kydex holster that attaches via heavy-duty velcro to the belt. Once the belt is secured around your waist, an second 3" wide strap fits over the holster and locks things in place. There is a horizontally oriented pouch in the belt big enough to just barely fit my Google Pixel XL phone with a fairly slim case, and another vertical pouch designed to hold a spare magazine.One thing I'll say about this rig is that whether or not it works for you probably depends a lot on the shape of your body. I'm 5'11, 195lbs and in pretty good shape, but I feel like if I had an inch of love handles I wouldn't be loving my purchase. The whole things fits very snug, and if you've got any significant abdominal fat it will be pushed upwards above the belt if you carry low on your hips, likely making things uncomfortable and also forcing the butt of your gun to cant outwards, increasing the chance of printing. I did try wearing it higher up on my belly with the gun carried in the front as is shown in the promotional materials. Maybe it's the fact that my days of having a six-pack are over, but I found the whole thing to be top-heavy and way too jiggly in this configuration, and nixed it pretty quick. It took a lot of adjusting to get things just how I liked them, and I ended up with my Glock just behind my hip at about the 4:30 o'clock position, and with the belt riding fairly low around my hips, a little deeper than with my usual IWB holster. Once it was there, though, it was comfortable as heck, and I wore it the rest of the day working around the property and didn't notice it any more than I do my normal holster. Because I bought this rig to wear with running and workout clothes, I'm not worried about the deeper carry as it's easy to get my hand inside an elastic waistband to establish a proper grip before drawing.The only downside with wearing the rig like this is that it rotated the spare mag pouch around to about the ten o'clock position, which made it unusable. The pouch is only effectively about 3 1/4 inches deep, though, and relies on friction with the nylon to hold the mag in place. While I wore a spare mag in it for a while around the property and it didn't fall out, I'd be hesitant to trust it bouncing around on a run. I might feel better with a G26 mag that didn't have more weight outside the pouch than in. Crossbreed does offer a kydex mag holder that attaches with velcro, and I might have to invest in one so I can carry a spare. For now, there probably aren't too many problems I can't solve with fifteen rounds and a Belgian malinois (my running partner).One thing I might change about this holster is that the inside of the band itself isn't lined, and there are a few minor friction point that I started to feel after a few miles. I solved this fairly easily by wearing a thin tank top between the band an my skin, which has the added benefit of keeping any salt from my sweat away from the slide. Still, I would have expected a company like Crossbreed to have done better with this. Points lost.A pesky case of bronchitis kept me from running for a few days, but I've now taken four runs of between four and six miles with this setup and am really loving it. My G19 is rock solid and doesn't bounce around in the slightest, and the whole thing is comfortable enough to wear for longer runs. I wouldn't hesitate to go ten or twelve miles with this. I'm not sure I'd ever use it for EDC on a regular basis, though. The snug fit would get hot and irritating, I imagine, after a whole day wearing it.I'm no professional reviewer, and I'm sure I've left things out. Feel free to comment and I'll answer them as best I can. Thanks for reading, and a shout out to u/KingOG for originally making a good argument for checking out the Crossbreed system. Much appreciated!TL/DR: Worked really well for me as a holster for running and working out. Secure fit and good retention. This holster probably works best for slim or fit body types. Plan to spend some time getting everything adjusted to your liking. The mag pouch on the belly band is dicey, so spring for the Kydex mag carrier if you want to carry a spare. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/37xrQeg

No comments:

Post a Comment