Sunday, September 19, 2021

Neighbor Domestic Abuse Situation Recap


I'm posting this because I'm conflicted, I know that I made the wrong call but I'm having a hard time rationalizing.For context, we live in a large city in Texas, in a high-rise apartment. I was sitting in on the bed with my GF and we hear a woman start screaming like she was being murdered. Shocked, we sat for a second and the woman keeps screaming from what sounds like right outside in our hallway. We pop out of bed, GF dials 911. Opened apartment door and looked around hallway, saw other people outside of their apartment.One neighbor leaves apartment and rushes towards the screaming, others start going in the opposite direction. Screaming is still ongoing. Follow behind with GF, peeking around hallway (10 feet from our apartment), see 3-4 people approximately 20 feet away, outside a door (~20 feet away) where the screaming appears to be coming from. Notice that one of them has a baseball bat. Screaming continues, woman inside is yelling that she's being hit and to help her. I tell GF (still on the phone with the police) to stand behind the hallway corner and I quickly go back into apartment to retrieve my handgun and conceal it in my pocket. I left the apartment and came back to the corridor corner, I poked my head around for 15~ seconds and saw that people had opened the door and there appeared to be no injuries or any immediate mortal threat, but the woman is still screaming. Return to apartment and put handgun back, then went back to the corridor.We approach closer to the door in question, saw that there is a male and female yelling at each other, male has torn shirt and woman is throwing dishes and glasses and screaming that she's in danger. Woman appears to have no injuries, but is still screaming and refuses to leave apartment, despite male asking her to leave and bystanders trying to separate the two of them. We go downstairs to let police in, they rush up and tell us to stay on the ground floor. Police come down to take our statement and that's that. From the time the police were dialed, to them running up the stairs was 8 minutes and 27 seconds.​First, leaving the apartment was a mistake. Entering an unknown situation with unknown variables was a terrible decision and could have easily ended up with one or both of us dead. I left the apartment because I truly thought that someone was being killed. This makes it even more of a bad idea to have entered the situation, but even now I have a hard time rationalizing staying inside the apartment and not doing anything. Objectively, the safest decision I could have made for me and my GF was staying the in the apartment. In all likelihood, even if he had been in the process of murdering her, I likely wouldn't have been able to stop anything from happening, other than stopping the guy from coming after me and my gf, which had we not left the apartment, would not have even been a threat.Do I have some kind of vigilante complex? Am I just a moron? Please hurl abuse at me until I understand. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/39kMlO9

No comments:

Post a Comment