Saturday, September 18, 2021

July 13th 2021- A long time lurker's Negligent Discharge.


I wasn't sure I wanted to share this, but I'm finally coming to terms with things and I feel that this is a valuable lesson that I hope others can benefit from.July 13th 2021. It started out like any other Tuesday, I got off work, came home and made something to eat. After eating I decided to clean my carry gun. I hadn't cleaned it much since I purchased it and after attending a pistol course a week prior I figured it was a good time to do a thorough cleansing.At my desk I began the disassembly process: Drop the magazine, rack the side to eject any cartridge in the chamber. I did all this but I neglected to do arguably one of the most important steps. Visibility check the chamber. Because, had I done that, I would have observed that the extractor failed to snag the round in the chamber, dispite me racking the side.Blissfully unaware to this, I continue to go through with disassembly. I rotate the takedown lever, put my left hand over the muzzle of the pistol to grab the side and simultaneously pull the trigger. Within seconds I am met with ringing in my ears and a dull/numb pain in my hand. The 9mm hollow point went through my hand skipped across my desk ripping through a calendar and bank statement. I underwent one surgery the night of the incident and I'm due for another this month 9/29.The biggest lesson I've learned is that complacency kills. I might have been pretty comfortable handling firearms and had the upmost confidence that I knew what I was doing...But so did Steve Irwin. All it takes is one second of a momentary labse of judgment and your life is changed forever.https://ift.tt/2XvJZJK via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3AuivCY

No comments:

Post a Comment