Sunday, June 7, 2020

After Training Gear Report, and Thoughts


I spent last week at a good firearms training school getting tuned up with my pistol. The gear I brought to class was with a few minor exceptions exactly what I wear every day. I cannot stress how important it is to train in your daily gear. LARPing around like Rambo for class might be fun but you're not testing your gear which is important.The normal EDC gun gear: NeoMag to hold my primary backup magazine, S4 Tactical EDC Belt, Vedder LightTuck holster.The gun: stock CZ P-10C with Night Fision sights (yellow dot, blacked out rear, square notch).Backup gun: Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9c with Truglo TFX PROThe exceptions: hearing pro, Bravo Concealment Kydex Double Magazine Pouch, and different boots.The weather was hot so for three days I was completely drenched in sweat. I'm talking my hands were pruned up due to sweat, when in a high ready you could see a stream of sweat running from my elbow to the ground. The fourth day it rained all day so we trained for 8 hours in the rain...obviously I was soaked. Stuff got dirty, dropped in mud, on rocks, in puddles, etc.The ReportThe NeoMag did great! I carried mine in my support hand side front pocket. No signs of rust or corrosion after being exposed to so much sweat and then rain. It never came off my pocket during class and to this day it never has in other practice. One nice thing about front pocket carry is you can access the mag easily with either hand which is something a lot of students, myself included, struggle to do with belt mounted mag pouches.The Double Mag pouch from Bravo did great, as expected. I have been using the NeoMag so long that I was surprised at how easily the Bravo pouch concealed.Vedder LightTuck performed great. It never came off my belt and the holster never moved on my belt. I don't know how many holster draws we did over four days but it was easily hundreds. The screws and washers did start to rust though and this was on day four when I had to swap out to a different gun and LightTuck holster...so this holster didn't get the sweat treatment, just a nice rain treatment. The holster that got the sweat treatment did fine. Have to reach out to Vedder for some new screws and washers.The Night Fision sights were super easy to acquire and I was doing pretty good with 25 yard bullseye and making 50 yard shots with them. No issues using them to rack the slide from my belt, leg, or boots either. More so when outside then inside, the sights really jump out at you. Good stuff.The S4 belt did great but had problems. As a gun belt it was able to hold everything up just fine. But I had problems where the belt's dye go onto my khaki pants and possibly ruined the pants (jury is still out on this). I'm pretty disappointed as I don't see why a belt being wet with sweat or rain should cause its dye to rub off on pants. The dye was rubbed off pretty much around the entire waistband so it couldn't have been from the other gear.The CZ P-10C had a mechanical failure that rendered it unreliable. I used the gun for 3 out of the 4 days and in general it was as accurate as I was letting it be accurate -- had a five round 25 yard group on a 3x5 notecard and several 50 yard hits. On Day two I noticed on one handed drills that after every round the slide would prematurely lock back regardless of magazine capacity. After cleaning it that day I noticed the slide stop spring came out of its home and that is what keeps the slide stop from flapping wildly about. I put it in its home. Day 3 it came out again. Well, shit. Looking at the forums this seems to be a design flaw that CZ might have corrected with revised spring design. Another student in the class had the same gun and his spring was curved totally differently (his gun was stock as well).The M&P did great the one day I used it and that day was when we did a lot of drills that simulated a "bad fucking day" but it wasn't a high round day either. I made 50 yard shots with it and had no issue shooting one handed but again it wasn't a high round day.The TFX Pros were not as easy to pickup as the Night Fision but for some reason I find the TFX Pros to be easier to align on my target than anything. Something about them makes it a lot easer than any other sight FOR ME to align that top front sight edge with where I want the round to go.Some ThoughtsI'm working with CZ to see what needs to happen to get my P-10 reliable. After it gets fixed I don't know if I want to keep it or sell it to be honest. I've heard too many reputable trainers say when it comes to reliability you have Glock and M&P standing heads and shoulders (equally actually) above everything else. Obviously this is completely antidotal to their experiences but when they say 1/3 of the P-10 that come through their classes fail and in ten years they've never seen a Glock or M&P fail...you do start to think.The Night Fision front sights pop way more than my TFX Pro but when it comes to actual aligning of front and rear sights, and then aligning the sights on the target, I find the TFX Pro way easier. I wonder if my eyes find the Night Fision front sight too "eye catching" ?I love the NeoMag but I hate losing so much room in that pocket. I found the belt mag pouches concealed and carried so well that I'm thinking of trying this method out. I just need to figure out a way to access a magazine with both hands easily. I noticed all of the instructors carried two single kydex mag pouches with one on either side of their body for that reason. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2BHmXEO

No comments:

Post a Comment