Saturday, September 5, 2026

How do I deal with the freeze response?

A few weeks back, I was with a friend and he got into an argument with someone. I'm not going to into all the details of the incident.

This guy basically pushed my friend while he was standing in front of a store and my friend yelled at him, telling him that he should've given him time instead of grabbing his elbow and moving it. This guy came up front and it turned into an argument. He threatened my friend and I stood there like a bystander. Given that he's my friend I should have butted in and confronted him about threatening my friend. But I couldn't, in the moment my heart was beating fast and I felt scared. The only thing that was going through my mind was how I can escape the situation. My voice automatically went to a low pitch and I kept telling my friend to let it be. While he kept arguing with the guy.

I feel ashamed for being like this. For being so scared and getting a freeze response. I know this is part of my biology meant to keep me safe. But I just don't like how I lacked courage in those moments. As a guy it makes your guy friends lose respect for you. I did apologise to him later on and he was chill about it. But I just feel really ashamed.

I'm someone who grew up getting bullied and physically intimidated by people. I had never been able to confront people growing up and to think that I'm in the same place makes me feel horrible. Like I'm a loser.

I had really low confidence because of this and other reasons growing up. Now I lift weights, have a good physique, have some good amount of strength but still being so scared makes me feel like I'm still weak. That I never improved.



Submitted 2026-09-05T13:13:15Z by Awkward_Implement324 https://ift.tt/30R4OMC

No comments:

Post a Comment