Friday, September 13, 2019

Any Louisianans Here? Question about the application.


I've lived here for three years now, never got around to getting my CCW, mostly for lack of money and time, now I have both and would like to rectify this.Not too worried about the class, I've taken harder ones in other States and I have a local contact who will hook me up with that, but the arrest section on the application has me a bit worried. In the early 2000s I was arrested in New York State and charged with non-violent felonies (computer trespass, if you're curious) in two different jurisdictions, because the alleged act occurred on the County line and they couldn't decide who wanted to prosecute it, so both hit me.Long story short, one of the Counties ultimately dismissed the charges (the felony and a lesser included misdemeanor) while the other one took it to Grand Jury, where I testified, and the charges against me were "no billed".Here's where my concern comes in. Louisiana wants a certified disposition of the charges. No problem with the jurisdiction that dismissed the charges, I can and have obtained that disposition in years past, for employment background checks. The issue is with the Grand Jury no bill, in New York State all Grand Jury records are completely sealed, even as the accused I am unable to get them, the most I can get is a "No Records" letter from the relevant Clerk of Court.I've gone this route before, for employment purposes, but I'm not certain LSP is going to accept a "No Records" letter, and short of attaching a letter explaining the situation with sealed Grand Jury records in New York State I don't really know what else I can do. New York State is pretty anti-gun, but these previous charges posed no impediment to getting an unrestricted pistol license back home, so I can't fathom LSP is going to deny me, I'm just wondering how to get past the "Attach certified true copies of documentation to prove disposition" part of the application.Any thoughts/insight? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2NW2Arz

No comments:

Post a Comment