Last week, for the first time in my life, I came close to a situation where I might have had to physically defend myself.
I was trying to park near my house when a guy started tailgating me. I felt pressured to park quickly because of the car behind me, and it pissed me off. I ended up yelling at him (car windows were closed, he could not hear me. He only saw it). For context, I recently became a father, I’m barely sleeping, and my patience hasn’t exactly been at its best lately. No excuse to get mad, I am aware.
When I got out of my car to get to my house, I noticed that the other driver had stopped too. He grabbed a hammer and started walking towards me.
I’ve trained martial arts for most of my life. I have a brown belt in judo, years of kickboxing and MMA experience, and some wrestling experience as well. I always understood that real-life violence is unpredictable, but I guess I never truly understood what it would feel like to face someone who was actually threatening me with a weapon.
All that training suddenly felt irrelevant.
I didn’t feel confident or prepared. I didn’t feel like a fighter. The only thing I could think to say was, “Did you really just grab a hammer over this?”
I know that de-escalating the situation and getting home safely was the right priority. I’m not upset that I didn’t fight him. I’m upset by how helpless I felt in that moment, despite all the years I’ve spent training.
Part of me knows that avoiding a potentially life-threatening confrontation was the sensible thing to do. Another part of me keeps interpreting that feeling of helplessness as some kind of failure.
Has anyone here with a martial arts background experienced something similar?
How did you deal with the mental aftermath? Did it change the way you view your training or your ability to handle yourself in a real-life confrontation?
I’m not looking for advice on how to beat someone armed with a hammer. I’m trying to understand why I reacted the way I did and how to stop interpreting a sensible decision as a personal failure.
Submitted October 11, 2026 at 02:32PM by Fantastic-Estate-938 https://ift.tt/IXm4KSt
No comments:
Post a Comment