Wednesday, September 11, 2019

UPDATE: Looking for Additional CCW Pistols... - Range Report


Hi again everyone,About a week ago I posted the following thread asking for additional G19 sized pistols to test: https://ift.tt/31iubHk people asked that I report back afterwards and I thought the info might help others that are looking at any of these pistols but unable to test themselves. I did my best to enter with an open mind, but if I thought something definitely sucked, I'll make note of it. The goal of this test was the find the best replacement for the P-10 that fits my hands and style of shooting. This may or may not apply to you.Procedure for Each Rental:Push out from high compressed ready 5 times with P10 with dry fire, getting feel for both the trigger and where the gun "points".Push out from high compressed ready 5 times with rental with dry fire, same goal as above.10 aimed shots at the head of a silouette target at 7 yards pushing out every two shots from high compressed ready, two mags of five.10 shots with strings of two or three at the torso of silouette target at same from high compressed ready, pushing out and firing as soon as I got sight alignment, two mags of five, one string of two and three per mag.Assess and make notes on the following: natural point of aim and control manipulation without adjusting grip, ease of reload without watching the mag into the well and overhand rack, muzzle flip and ability to control recoil during strings, trigger crispness and single shot accuracy.Control:CZ P-10C, my favorite striker fired. This points very naturally for me if very slightly high. Trigger has a relatively smooth takeup with a crisp break and minimal creep. Recoil is almost straight back with very little muzzle flip.Testing (in the order I shot them in):Glock 19 Gen 5 - Natural point of aim is much higher than the CZ for my hands. I could see a good bit of slide between the front and rear sights. I had to be mindful to push out further that what was comfortable to get sight alignment. Definitely could be overcome with training, but my goal is to find something that matches my other carry. Controls easily reachable. Muzzle flip very minimal for single shots and strings. Similar to the CZ, recoil is almost straight back. The trigger was my biggest issue, there was a long gritty takeup with sort of a wall and then a creeping rolling break. I know some people like this, but I didn't care for it. Groupings were good with single shots where I was focusing on pushing the pistol down, but the strings opened up quite a bit, I think owing to me not extending my grip far enough after compensating for the first shot. Also, I see why people don't like the cutout on the mag well: I actually snagged it the first time loading a mag without looking.S&W M&P9 2.0 Compact - Natural point of aim was dead on when pushing out, better than the CZ I would say. I feel like the grip angle is closer to the CZ75 than the P-10, the former fitting my hand much better. Controls easily reachable without adjusting my hand. Grip felt more ergonomic than the 19. Muzzle flip felt like even less than the Glock. I swear the gun hardly moved during strings, which might be due to it being slightly heavier. Recoil was definitely straight back. The trigger was a somewhat long but smooth takeup with a definite wall with a break and a slight amount of creep. I would say the trigger itself is on par with the CZ, but I found the smaller diameter easier to wrap my finger around. Grouping was excellent with single shots with most in a 3-4 inch circle in the head and a few fliers. Grouping on the strings usually resulted in a top-to-bottom pattern as I think I was compensating more for the expected recoil than I needed to. Also, not sure what it is about those slide serrations, but this thing is super easy to overhand rack.Walther PPQ - Also very natural point of aim, sights almost always in alignment when pushing straight out. Controls reachable easily. Grip felt like it was molded to my hand. Muzzle flip was definitely noticeable; the recoil actually reminded me more of a .40 than a 9mm. I had to slow down during strings more than the 19 and M&P to keep shots on the torso. The trigger pull itself was amazing. I couldn't feel any grit in the takeup and the break was crisp with no creep. The flat and somewhat wide shape of the trigger made it hard to wrap my finger and keep it in place. I have average hands, so larger hands might negate this. This was the only pistol of the 4 that I missed left with consistently. I actually shot a 7 round 2 inch group with 3 fliers in the aimed fire portion on the high left. The RO actually benched the gun and checked it afterwards to make sure the sights hadn't gotten knocked. The sights were fine, I think it was just my inability to get good purchase on the trigger with the width. Strings were ugly. Some rounds off paper caused me to slow them down considerably.SIG P320 X Compact - Another very natural point of aim, right with the M&P. Controls easy to reach. Grip was comfortable but felt almost too slick. The gun didn't move at all on firing, so it must keep my hand locked in better than it feels like it would. Muzzle flip more noticeable than the 19 and M&P but very easy to compensate for compared with the PPQ. The trigger was a different animal: almost not takeup, but that takeup was smooth and then a light crisp break. I feel like the total trigger travel distance was less than half of the other three. I don't know how sold I was in that for a carry pistol, but it produced the most accurate groups on target of the four. The trigger was also wide and flat, but I had no trouble getting purchase. Strings were easy once I started compensating a bit more for muzzle climb. This one actually produced the tightest groupings in the strings, as well, once I got a handle on compensating for the recoil.FN 509 - Omitted from the list due to time and not really wanting to replace the striker right out of the box. In the end, I'm glad I chose the four that I did.Result and Winner for Me:M&P, with a close runner up in the SIG. The ease of recoil control during strings was on par with or better than the CZ and the trigger has a smooth takeup with a crisp enough break for what I need. The thinner trigger without the blade was weird at first, but I actually think I like it more than bladed triggers now.I couldn't get over the weird recoil and super wide feeling trigger with the Walther. The grip angle of the glock just doesn't fit my hands, and the trigger would definitely take some getting used to or an upgrade. Again, I tried to keep an open mind, but I fully expected to "just get the Glock" as everyone recommends. I'm glad I spent the time and money to do this.If you've read this far and are considering any of these pistols, thanks, and I hope this helps. My advice to anyone will continue to be: go to the range and test as many as you can. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/31hRcdc

No comments:

Post a Comment