Monday, October 7, 2024

How did I handle this aggressive Uber passenger?

So I drive Uber as a side gig, and yesterday I arrived at a grocery store to pickup to passengers who I'll refer to a Weird Guy and Nice Lady. Weird Guy looked to be in his mid 20s and Nice Lady looked to be in her Mid 30s. Since it was a grocery store pickup and they had a lot of bags, I popped my trunk and got out to help them load the bags. It was Sunday so I'd already done this 100 times and everything seemed normal. We were almost done and suddenly Weird Guy got in my face with a very aggressive look and his hands, while at his sides, were balled up. He did not break eye contact.

Me: What's up man?

Weird Guy: What's up?

Me: Everything okay?

No answer

Me: You good?

Weird Guy: You good?

Me: Just trying to help you with your groceries.

Weird Guy got out of my face and we loaded the rest of the bags in.

As Weird Guy was returning the shopping cart Nice Lady came over to me.

Nice Lady: I am so sorry.

Me: Everything okay with him?

Nice Lady: He has really bad anxiety. This is the last time I'm going anywhere with him.

Me: Does he every get violent?

Nice Lady: Not with me.

Me: How do you guys know each other?

Nice Lady: He lives in my building and asked if I'd go grocery shopping with him.

Weird Guy came back and we began the trip.

During the ride back to their apartment building, Nice Lady was telling Weird Guy that he needs to calm down in public. Apparently he had been verbally aggressive toward workers at the grocery store I had just picked them up from. Based on the conversation during the 5min car ride, it seemed like Weird Guy was a loner with a lot of problems and Nice Lady was trying to help him.

How did I handle the situation when he got in my face? I was able to deescalate and calm him down, but he was right in my personal space, so if he took a swing, I wouldn't be able to react fast enough.

I've driven uber as a side hustle for 6 years now, and while I've had some odd balls, I've never felt as though I was about to be assaulted. I was close to not even letting this guy in my car, but the fact that his groceries were loaded in complicated that, and me denying him service may have also escalated the situation.

Thoughts?



Submitted October 07, 2024 at 10:12AM by IndianaRocket80 https://ift.tt/TpbKNPl

No comments:

Post a Comment