Saturday, January 4, 2020

My thoughts about a revolver for my concealed carry, and also 18-11 Day if you didn't hear about it already


Tl;dr a bunch of wheelguns malfed pretty hard at the first Rangemaster Master Handgun Instructor Development/Certification and a bunch of somebodys who mostly still agree with each other got irritated about it. Skip ahead if you don't wanna read my rambling and just want the links.When it comes to debates about our equipment choices, I do need to remind myself that the level of emotional investment I want to put behind any aspect of my arguments need to be supported by my own personal experiences, and I need to think about the personal experiences of others who agree and disagree with me.I believe the revolver, whether pocket-sized or larger, is still relevant in 2020 for armed citizens who carry a handgun for personal protection inside or outside the home. While my budget priorities are on training and ammunition first and foremost over additional accessories and guns, I have been considering a J-frame sized revolver for some time, strictly as a secondary carry gun to supplement a primary carry gun worn on the belt.I have some limited experience owning and shooting full-sized and pocket-sized revolvers, but little in the way of carrying and training. In my earlier years I used to plink with a S&W 586 and a Ruger Service-Six/Colt Python hybrid, had shot others' revolvers ranging from hammerless J-frames to Raging Bulls, and I pocket-carried a S&W Model 36. That last gun was similar to when I still had Sig P238 and P938, in that they were okay to shoot on the range but I had serious hangups about my ability to draw effectively (whether from a nylon Desantis or from a kydex Vedder), not to mention a couple of near-falling-out experiences when seated.My only training was with Chuck Haggard's Pocket Rockets in March of last year, with the Model 36. By that time it was the only handgun I owned that I didn't carry. I bought a couple Bianchi strips and a Galco belt holster for the occasion, and had practiced beforehand with Claude Werne's lesson plan, which he put up for free on his site when he stopped teaching intro snub classes.https://ift.tt/2T0jWps feel it's worth mentioning that during the final course of fire, a law enforcement qual I think but can't be sure was from California, I was the only one shooting a snub-nose. Everyone else was shooting a pocket or small semi, with two or three others shooting a smaller but easier to handle revolver like the Model 66 or the newer Cobra.A couple months later I sold the Chief's Special and currently don't own any revolvers or pocket guns, but a hammerless or shrouded J-frame on the ankle with decent sights that isn't terrible to shoot but not heavy enough to result in joint surgery/replacement later down the road, is something I keep coming back to in my thoughts, especially after having taken an entangled handgun class with Cecil Burch. I'd love a 642/442 with 640 Pro sights.Fun fact, when I bought the 585, I also bought an Enfield No.2 from the same seller. It was a hilariously poopy gun to operate and I sold it over decade ago to some friendly local named Ian who gave me a business card for some thing he was starting up. I wish I still had that card.Whatever your impression of the signal-to-noise ratio on this subreddit, I think most of us are pretty up to speed on what to think about revolvers, and at least /u/Kungpaotesticles has shown he is up to speed on what to do.Singlehand reload https://ift.tt/2Fi6wxj ("How many people buy a snubbie, put 20 rounds a year through it, stuff some shitty bulk ammo in the cylinder, and assume it'll work...Test your carry guns and test your carry ammo.")https://ift.tt/2SRTgHt that note, I hope most of us are familiar with the concept of Todd Louis Green's 2000-round challenge, though perhaps most of us haven't done it. The forum that first sparked the discussion is gone, I think, but I wonder if the question came up about if the round count was ever adjusted for revolvers. Based on some of what was discussed from what happened at the Master Handgun training, I'm kinda doubting they were seriously considered in the first place.https://ift.tt/36tTHM4 Gunner, Primary & Secondary modcasthttps://old.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/c6mu3m/gunner_pocket_pistols_vs_snub_nose_revolvers/Chris Baker and Daryl Bolke have made a lot of valuable contributions to keeping our body of knowledge up to date, among others. I don't remember seeing anybody mention the Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round-Up in that thread; I think those of you here who are very serious about your wheelguns should try to make it to the next one. The only two other names not covered in that event are Grant Cunningham and Michael de Bethencourt, and I'm not sure if either one is as accessible nowadays.https://ift.tt/2ZOvDBg, with all that, John Corriea's Extra video on Revolver vs Pistol might have been something you saw floating around here or elsewhere online, last month.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edh-OrgROD4The facebook post he mentioned:https://ift.tt/2ud1srw Bolke's response:https://ift.tt/2tu7QKQ Weems, an instructor with an LE background with previous experience carrying a revolver for duty, was also present at the course ("The only way to develop skill is to train, and in order to train, you are going to have to maintain."):https://ift.tt/37BdEkj stood out to me that the exchange described in Mr. Weems' second part is not the same as the first reply to Mr. Correia's video ("And in 30 years, I never gave recruits a break in the middle of their qualification to clean their revolvers."). A good reminder that there are several thousand law enforcement agencies across the local to federal level, and while it's probably quite common for some of them to develop their training and policies based off of another's, mileage may vary.If you're more interested in what it takes to be a master handgun instructor by Tom Givens' methods, you'll definitely want to check out John Daub's in-depth review. His writeup also includes the links I posted above, along with his opinion on the matter, which hopefully shouldn't be too groundbreaking. He also co-wrote one of my favorite books, Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training. A few of you have posted his blog articles on Minimum Competency here, which is how I first heard of him.https://ift.tt/2ZRaLJu about you? Did you guys already know about this? If you attend training, have you ever brought a revolver to class even if you don't carry one or keep one ready at home? If you are an instructor, have revolvers affected the lesson plan in any of your classes? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2Qozh1o

No comments:

Post a Comment